A medic with hantavirus symptoms is under specialist care as UK quarantine efforts expand
A medic who developed symptoms linked to hantavirus on a remote British territory is being treated in a London specialist hospital as the fallout from the MV Hondius outbreak continues to widen.
British health authorities confirmed that nine people connected to the cruise ship outbreak arrived in the UK to begin supervised self-isolation, while a symptomatic healthcare worker from Ascension Island was flown in for urgent assessment.
The latest developments add another alarming chapter to an outbreak that has already been linked to multiple infections and deaths.
Embed from Getty Images
According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), the medic was transferred from Ascension Island to Britain as a “highly precautionary measure” after developing symptoms consistent with hantavirus exposure. Because the island lacks a specialist infectious diseases facility, officials decided to move the individual to London for advanced care and further testing.
The patient is receiving treatment at the High Consequence Infectious Diseases unit operated by Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust.
Health officials stressed that the transfer was designed to ensure immediate specialist support if the patient’s condition worsened. Further medical assessment and laboratory testing are now underway.
Meanwhile, nine people from the British South Atlantic territories of St Helena and Ascension Island arrived in Britain on Sunday evening. Authorities said they may have encountered the virus but currently show no symptoms.
They will complete isolation under the supervision of the NHS High Consequence Infectious Diseases network. Officials plan to transfer them to Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral — the same hospital that previously housed passengers connected to the cruise ship outbreak.
The outbreak centres on the MV Hondius, a cruise vessel whose passengers have already been dispersed across more than 20 countries for quarantine procedures.
The ship spent recent days travelling from the Canary Islands before reaching Rotterdam in the Netherlands. Passengers had earlier been escorted from the vessel wearing full protective equipment before boarding flights to quarantine locations around the world, including the UK.
Dr Meera Chand, deputy director at UKHSA, said authorities continue working with domestic and international partners to manage safe repatriation, medical monitoring and isolation measures.
She said officials remained focused on protecting both affected passengers and the wider public while maintaining close oversight during quarantine periods.
Health agencies have also expanded their response beyond Britain.
The UK Public Health Rapid Support Team deployed three specialists to the South Atlantic territories after local authorities requested assistance. The team includes microbiologists Clara Milroy and Kimberley Steeds, who will support hantavirus PCR testing and rule out other possible illnesses.
They are joined by infection prevention and control specialist Anthony Twyman, who will help Jamestown General Hospital strengthen preparedness through training and operational assessments. The team is expected to remain in the region for eight weeks.
The outbreak has already carried a deadly toll.
At least 11 infections have been reported among passengers, including three deaths. Officials said those who died included a Dutch couple believed to have been among the earliest people exposed to the virus during travel in South America.
Public health bodies across Europe continue tracing potential exposure routes. Public Health Scotland warned that a small number of individuals in Scotland may have encountered the virus and said efforts were underway to contact those potentially affected.
As quarantine operations continue, authorities are preparing for the next phase of containment.
Once all passengers and crew leave the MV Hondius, the vessel will undergo full decontamination under Dutch public health rules. Officials said inspectors must clear the ship before it can sail again.
Despite the unprecedented outbreak described as the first known hantavirus incident on a cruise ship the vessel’s Dutch owner has indicated it does not currently expect major operational changes.