Sunday, April 6, 2025
Sunday April 6, 2025
Sunday April 6, 2025

I was a sex addict, not a rapist: Russell Brand denies all charges in emotional statement

PUBLISHED ON

|

Brand denies all rape and assault allegations ahead of 2 may court appearance, claiming innocence

Russell Brand has broken his silence following charges of rape and sexual assault filed against him, issuing a passionate and defiant video statement online just weeks before his first court appearance.

The British comedian and actor, currently facing one count of oral rape and one of indecent assault, shared his remarks via Instagram Stories on Friday. In his post titled “My response”, Brand directly addressed the allegations while presenting a narrative of personal transformation and faith.

Embed from Getty Images

Opening with gratitude, he thanked supporters for their “incredible and overwhelming messages” during what he called a turbulent and trying time. “We’re very fortunate, I suppose, that this is happening at a time where we know that the law has become a kind of weapon,” Brand said. He claimed the legal system is increasingly manipulated against individuals and institutions that challenge entrenched power structures.

Without directly referencing the charges against him in his opening remarks, Brand veered into broader commentary on British justice. He questioned why certain high-profile crimes, such as the Southport murders, allegedly go unprosecuted, and even referenced UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer by name, suggesting selective legal enforcement.

Eventually turning to the heart of the issue, Brand insisted on his innocence. “I was a fool before I lived in the light of the Lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict, and an imbecile,” he admitted, “but what I never was, was a rapist.”

“I’ve never engaged in non-consensual activity,” he said firmly. “I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes.”

He ended the clip by confirming his intention to fight the charges in court. “I’m now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court, and I’m incredibly grateful for that,” he said.

Despite the court summons, Brand is reportedly still in the United States, raising speculation about whether he will return to the UK for the 2 May hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court. His legal team has not yet issued a formal statement on his travel or attendance plans.

The allegations are the culmination of months of mounting legal scrutiny. Brand has faced increasing public backlash and calls for accountability after several women came forward last year with historical claims of sexual misconduct. At the time, Brand categorically denied all allegations, framing them as part of a media conspiracy to silence dissenting voices.

While Brand has reinvented himself in recent years as a podcast host and political commentator, the resurfacing of serious allegations has plunged him into controversy once more. Critics have accused him of using conspiracy-laden rhetoric to deflect from the charges, while supporters say the timing and nature of the accusations raise questions about political motivation.

Legal experts say the May hearing will be critical in determining how the case progresses and whether Brand’s public protestations will carry any legal weight. The charges carry significant penalties, and if convicted, the fallout could reshape Brand’s public life and future career.

With Brand poised to defend himself both in court and in the court of public opinion, the spotlight is unlikely to move away anytime soon. His next act will not be on stage or on screen—but in the dock

You might also like