Friday, April 4, 2025
Friday April 4, 2025
Friday April 4, 2025

Blood on Abbey Street: Revenge-fuelled dumbbell beating ends in attempted murder conviction

PUBLISHED ON

|

Abdusalam Hassan found guilty after savage 31-blow dumbbell attack left the victim with brain injuries

A chilling act of revenge exploded into violence on a quiet city street, as a man armed with a dumbbell launched a savage and sustained assault that has now led to a conviction for attempted murder.

The attack, described by detectives as one of the most disturbing they have ever encountered, took place on 2 October 2024 on Abbey Street, Derby. Abdusalam Hassan, 27, has now been found guilty of attempting to murder a man in what prosecutors called a premeditated, ferocious act of vengeance.

Moments before the attack, Hassan had spotted the man—believed to be one of a group involved in a previous assault against him—near a local shop. Rather than walking away, Hassan made a calculated retreat to retrieve a dumbbell. He then lay in wait, his mind seemingly made up.

As the victim stepped into the street, Hassan pounced.

What followed was a gruesome scene: 31 blows, each one more brutal than the last, rained down on the victim. Hassan continued the assault even after the man had lost consciousness, showing no hesitation, no remorse, and no mercy.

The victim, whose name has not been released, sustained a severe brain injury and is now partially paralysed. Emergency services rushed to the scene and performed life-saving interventions before surgeons fought to stabilise him in hospital. Against all odds, he survived—but life as he knew it is gone.

Though Hassan admitted to the assault, he denied trying to kill the man. The jury at Derby Crown Court took just three hours to reject that claim, convicting him of attempted murder. He will be sentenced in July and remains in custody.

Detective Inspector Tony Owen, who led the investigation, expressed horror at the sheer savagery of the attack.

“Captured on CCTV, Hassan’s rampage is among the most disturbing I’ve ever seen,” Owen said. “His victim was utterly helpless after the first strike. The fact that he continued to attack with such force, even when the man was unconscious, speaks volumes. This was attempted murder—nothing less.”

Embed from Getty Images

The footage, shown during the trial, left the courtroom stunned. Jurors watched as Hassan repeatedly struck the defenceless man. The scene, silent apart from the crunch of repeated blows, has been seared into the memories of all who saw it.

Prosecutors painted a picture of a man consumed by vengeance. Although Hassan was believed to have been previously assaulted by the victim and others, the Crown argued that his response was wholly disproportionate and intended to kill.

Outside court, a spokesperson for Derbyshire Police said the verdict brought some measure of justice, though nothing could undo the suffering caused. “The victim has survived, yes—but at what cost?” the spokesperson said. “His injuries are life-altering. He’ll never be the same.”

Abbey Street, typically a bustling thoroughfare with corner shops and residential flats, has struggled to shake off the trauma. In the weeks after the attack, residents left flowers at the scene and held a vigil in solidarity with the victim.

Now, with Hassan facing a lengthy prison sentence, the community hopes to begin healing.

But the memory of that October morning lingers.

One shopkeeper who witnessed the aftermath said, “I still see the blood. I still hear the sirens. We were all shaken to our core. We just want peace now.”

Sentencing is scheduled for July. Until then, Hassan remains behind bars, awaiting the consequences of his merciless act.

You might also like