Saturday, April 5, 2025
Saturday April 5, 2025
Saturday April 5, 2025

Obama and Harris slam Trump’s second-term crackdown on dissent and law firms

PUBLISHED ON

|

Obama and Harris rebuke Trump’s actions, warning of threats to rights, free speech, and democracy

Former President Barack Obama and former Vice President Kamala Harris issued rare and direct rebukes of Donald Trump’s second-term actions on Thursday, sounding alarm over what they describe as an escalating assault on American democracy, civil rights, and the rule of law.

Speaking at Hamilton College, Obama broke his silence on Trump’s presidency since the 2024 election, offering a sharp critique of recent White House moves. He focused especially on Trump’s aggressive stance toward universities, law firms, and media outlets.

“So, this is the first time I’ve spoken publicly in a while,” Obama began, addressing a crowd of students. “I’ve been watching for a little bit.”

He then laid out his concerns with Trump’s attempts to reshape federal institutions and pressure legal organisations to avoid representing political opponents. “Imagine if I had done any of this,” he said, calling out the apparent double standards among Trump’s political backers. “It’s unimaginable that the same parties who are silent now would have tolerated behaviour like that from me — or from any of my predecessors.”

Embed from Getty Images

Obama was especially critical of Trump’s warning to law firms: those representing his critics could face exclusion from future federal business. “That kind of behaviour,” he warned, “violates the very compact that holds our democracy together.”

He also pushed back against the newly announced tariffs, saying they won’t benefit the country in the long run. “But that’s not what worries me most,” Obama added. “It’s the chilling effect on free speech and legal independence that should alarm every American.”

Harris echoed Obama’s warnings in her own address at the Leading Women Defined Summit, a gathering of women of colour in leadership. In a video clip later shared online, she declared, “I’m not here to say I told you so,” before pausing with a wry smile.

“There were many things we knew would happen,” Harris said. “And now we are seeing organisations remain silent. We are seeing capitulation to clearly unconstitutional threats.”

She acknowledged the fear sweeping across parts of the country, driven by Trump’s approach to governance. “And understandably so,” she added. “But I also say this, my friends — courage is just as contagious as fear.”

The remarks marked Harris’s most pointed public statement since her loss to Trump in the 2024 election. Despite stepping away from the national spotlight in recent months, her comments on Thursday indicated a renewed willingness to push back.

Adding to the controversy this week was the White House’s deal with Willkie Farr & Gallagher, the law firm where Harris’s husband, Doug Emhoff, previously worked. Trump announced that the firm had agreed to provide $100 million in pro bono legal services during his second term — a move some see as pressure on high-profile legal entities.

Before the agreement was public, Emhoff had voiced concern, saying: “The rule of law is under attack. Democracy is under attack. And all of us lawyers need to do what we can to push back.”

As Trump tightens his grip on Washington, both Obama and Harris appear to be drawing a red line. Obama, ever cautious about stepping into partisan frays, seemed compelled by what he views as a constitutional crisis in the making. And Harris, while not explicitly campaigning again, signalled a re-entry into the national conversation with a message of resilience and resistance.

Their message to America: do not stay silent. And don’t let fear win.

You might also like