Police detain former Prince on suspicion of misconduct in public office
It was shortly after 8 am on Thursday when a small fleet of unmarked police cars drew up at Wood Farm on the king’s private Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
Plainclothes officers stepped out into the late winter drizzle and readied themselves for a historic act that the royal family might have been expecting and dreading for weeks. Inside the house, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was perhaps sitting down to a birthday breakfast.
On 19 February 1960 the Queen Elizabeth II gave birth to her third child at Buckingham Palace. Exactly 66 years later, Andrew – no longer a prince – was arrested and taken into police custody.
As news of the arrest spread, police carried out searches at Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home at Royal Lodge in Windsor and at properties in Norfolk.
Without naming the man, Thames Valley Police said: “We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office … The man remains in police custody at this time.”
Oliver Wright, assistant chief constable with Thames Valley Police, said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
The king was not informed in advance of his brother’s arrest. After a short period of silence, Charles issued a statement at noon saying, “The law must take its course.” He added that the police had the royal family’s “full and wholehearted support and cooperation”.
In his statement, the king referred to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor by his full name and said: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
The Prince and Princess of Wales said they supported the king’s statement. The prime minister said, “Nobody is above the law.”
It has been short of three weeks since the US Department of Justice released millions of documents relating to Jeffrey Epstein. Among early discoveries were emails that appear to show Mountbatten-Windsor, then a UK trade envoy, forwarding sensitive government documents and commercial information to Epstein. Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive information about their official visits.
Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied wrongdoing.
In November, King Charles stripped his brother of the title of “prince” and gave him notice to vacate his home in Windsor. He was excluded from royal Christmas celebrations and moved temporarily into Wood Farm earlier this month.
On Thursday evening, Mountbatten-Windsor was seen leaving Aylsham police station after being released under investigation.
Thames Valley Police confirmed: “The arrested man has now been released under investigation.
“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”
The force said its searches in Berkshire were still underway.
Misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.
Thursday’s arrest was the first of a senior member of the royal family in modern history.